The Language & Culture Archives exists so that ethnolinguistic minority communities benefit from the preservation of and/or open access to knowledge and resources collected, compiled, or created as the result of SIL’s service to these communities in the pursuit of their language development goals.
The goals of the Archives are:
- to faithfully steward intellectual property of and about indigenous language communities worldwide that has been acquired or produced by or in partnership with SIL and
- to ensure sustainable access to these resources in this and future generations.
In service to language communities worldwide the Archives:
- establishes standards, best practices, and partnerships that enable sustainable archiving and sharing of knowledge throughout SIL International and within the language communities it serves
- stewards knowledge and resources through best practices in both data collection and description
- preserves resources in their native formats as well as migrating them to other formats as necessary
- publishes / shares bibliographic information about resources and, where possible, distributes the resources themselves